The basis of the guacamole recipe is, of course, the avocado and other ingredients of vegetable and mineral origin. This is where you can make combinations of chili, onion, cilantro, etc.
It is a Mexican sauce very well known all over the world that, without a doubt, every day adds more followers due to its delicious flavor. In fact, it is so popular that you can even easily find it ready in supermarkets.
Benefits of guacamole for your health
Let’s start by mentioning some benefits of this nutritious and colorful delicacy. Keep in mind that guacamole is high in calories due to avocado fats.
One cup, for example, contains 240 to 270 calories. To encourage you to prepare a delicious guacamole, take a look at these benefits for your health.
- It is a source of fiber thanks to the avocado. A quarter cup provides about 3 g of fiber , which is important to control your appetite, maintain optimal levels of sugar and for proper digestion.
- Because of its content Vitamin A , guacamole helps keep your immune system strong and your skin healthy. A quarter cup contains approximately 85 international units of vitamin A.
- One serving contains 3 grams of polyunsaturated fat and 1 gram of monounsaturated fat. This makes it a very heart-friendly meal. That is, eating guacamole reduces the risk of suffering heart disease .
- Avocado fat also helps absorb fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K) and help you feel full.
- Avocados are very rich in nutrients. This implies that your body will feel satisfied with adequate portions, which will prevent you from seeking to sate yourself with high-calorie, low-nutrient foods.
Now that you have seen some of the benefits that this delicious companion has, we continue with our homemade recipe to prepare a delicious guacamole. You will see how easy it is and you will not have to run to the supermarket to get ingredients.
How do you eat guacamole?
It is an ideal preparation to accompany a wide variety of salty dishes. The most usual is to accompany it with nachos but you can also enjoy it with a toast of crusty bread. In the same way, you can use it to accompany salads and even soups.
Almost any type of appetizer can be accompanied with guacamole. Try it with your chips, corn tortillas, donuts, pretzels, cookies, vegetable sticks, chicken, or cheese, fish fillets, prawns, and so on. Phew! The list is almost endless.
Now, without further ado, we present a simple recipe to prepare a delicious and nutritious homemade guacamole.
Ingredients for preparing a homemade guacamole
This Mexican sauce has several versions that usually depend on the region where it is made. This is to be expected since although the avocado is almost everywhere, there are other ingredients that are more typical of a region or that are not so widespread.
Our recipe is to prepare a more complete dish. As we have mentioned, it is not about making it very loaded, but that it has an exquisite flavor.
- Salt to taste).
- 1 onion (60 g).
- Juice of 1 lemon (45 mL).
- 1 tomato medium (30 g).
- 4 ripe avocados (80 g).
- 1 chile serrano or jalapeño.
- Cilantro finely chopped, without the stems (to taste).
- After washing them thoroughly, part the tomato and onion into very small pieces. Try to cut them as small as you can. Then, proceed to do the same with coriander.
- Pour these pieces into the container where you will be preparing the guacamole. If you have one available, use a stone mortar.
- Make sure the avocados are ripe enough. Strip them in half and remove the bone.
- Use a spoon to remove all the meat from them and pour them into the container that contains our chopped vegetables.
- Add the lemon juice, a pinch of salt and the serrano or jalapeño pepper to give our guacamole a slightly spicy flavor.
- Using a covered or mortar, crush all the ingredients to mix them all evenly.
You should leave small pieces of avocado whole, which is how it is traditionally served. However, if you like more creamy and more uniform texture, you can beat it with the blender.
If you do not finish the whole bowl of guacamole, you can store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container, closed in vacuum for a couple of days maximum.