Vitamins are inorganic substances that can be found in different foods and are necessary for the proper development and functioning of our body.
After 40, monitor the amount of vitamins , minerals and nutrients what we get becomes fundamental . If you do not pay the required attention you can experience negative changes such as loss of muscle mass, a slow metabolism and increased risk of heart disease.
Check which vitamins and other nutrients are especially needed after age 40 and start consuming them.
1. Vitamin B12
Vitamin B12 is found naturally in foods of animal origin. R It is essential for the proper functioning of the brain, blood and nervous system .
The lack of this vitamin usually causes:
- General weakening
- Loss of appetite
- Megaloblastic anemia
Normally we obtain the necessary amount of vitamin B12 by eating a varied and balanced diet.
However, after 40 years, the decrease in hydrochloric acid in the stomach causes problems absorbing it. Therefore, many older adults should consume it through fortified foods or dietary supplements
Calcium is an essential mineral that is present in foods such as milk, cheese and other dairy products.
Its function It is essential to keep strong bones and teeth . Further, calcium intervenes in the circulation of blood, the balance of nervous system and muscle contraction.
- For all the above, a deficiency of calcium can cause diseases such as osteoporosis and rickets.
- Although bones absorb most of the calcium they need before age 30, after age 40 they begin to lose calcium slowly.
- Therefore, to prevent osteoporosis and other bone diseases it is necessary to monitor the consumption of calcium.
3. Vitamin D
Vitamin D is easily obtained when exposed to sunlight and when consuming egg and milk. This vitamin is essential for the absorption of calcium in the body so it also has an important role for the development of the skeleton.
A poor absorption of it can generate diabetes , multiple sclerosis, cardiovascular diseases and chronic diseases.
- Since the ability of the skin to absorb vitamin D decreases with age, after age 40 you have a higher risk of developing a deficiency.
- Our recommendation is that you watch the time you spend under the sun , so do not overdo it, but do not forget to do it a few minutes a day.
- If you have allergies to the sun or for some reason it is impossible to do so, include a vitamin supplement in your daily routine.
Potassium is an essential mineral for some basic functions at the muscle and nervous system level . If you do not consume enough potassium after 40 you will notice:
- Muscle pains
- Muscular weakness
- Neuromuscular disorders
To make sure you have the necessary potassium intake it is precise Take a varied diet that includes nuts, coffee, cocoa and green leafy vegetables.
However, take into account that an excess of potassium in the body can cause complications in the heart and gastrointestinal system. Therefore, if you are going to take a potassium supplement, first consult your doctor.
Magnesium is an essential mineral and its main function is to regulate blood pressure. It also has a great importance in the production of energy and in the absorption of calcium , as well as in other essential metabolic reactions.
Because magnesium is part of chlorophyll, you will find it in green leafy vegetables, in unrefined grains, in legumes such as soybeans or beans and in walnuts .
- After 40 years it is necessary to monitor with greater caution the intake of this mineral.
- You must include the foods that contain it in each of your meals. If your diet is poor, include a supplement that contains magnesium.
6. Omega 3
Although omega 3 fatty acids are not vitamins or minerals, it is important to add them to the list, since they are essential for your health after age 40. Omega 3 can be obtained through two sources:
- Animals: From fish oil and krill oil.
- Vegetables: From plants such as linseed , chia seeds, hemp seeds and soybean oil.
Consume this nutrient after 40 helps you control your blood pressure and bad cholesterol (LDL) , two very common problems in this stage.
The omegas also have a key role in the maintenance of memory and general brain function.
Remember that always it is better to consume vitamins and minerals through healthy foods and a balanced diet, instead of resorting to vitamin supplements and pills.
Leading a healthy life can prepare you for the changes that lie ahead.