The red lentils, also called Turkish lentils, have a size similar to the lentil that we are all used to eating. The difference lies in its strong red color and in that They taste more delicate than usual .
Have you never eaten them? You did not even know they exist? So pay attention, because next we will talk about the properties of red lentils.
We are sure that, when you finish reading, you will want to prepare a few to take advantage of its benefits.
Nutritional contributions of red lentils
Red lentils are rich in iron, fiber, selenium , zinc, carbohydrates, proteins and vitamin B1. In addition, they are an excellent source of phosphorus, manganese and folic acid.
These lentils are low in fat and only provide 360 calories per 100 grams .
1. They favor the correct nutrition during pregnancy
If you are pregnant you will love knowing the first of the properties of red lentils .
- Thanks to his contribution of iron, will help you prevent anemia during the gestation period . It is common to find women who need to consume an iron supplement. We recommend not leaving it, but also include these lentils.
- In turn, the fiber that contains this legume will help you to have an adequate evacuation and, therefore, to correct the constipation which is often related to pregnancy.
This is a healthier alternative to traditional laxatives.
- Finally, the folate they provide helps to prevent defects or malformations in the nervous system of the fetus and you avoid the chances of a premature birth.
2. Red lentils improve your digestive health
Another property of red lentils is that, being rich in starches, they improve digestion and make you feel sated with less quantity and for a longer time.
When found devoid of skin, provide better digestion than common lentils . On the other hand, its consumption is very suitable for people with intestinal and gastric problems, slow digestion and excess gases .
Thanks to the fiber that this food provides, it prevents constipation. We recommend consuming a cup of cooked red lentils, at least once a week.
3. Help prevent cancer
One of the best properties of red lentils is that, thanks to their high fiber content, they facilitate intestinal transit and drag the carcinogenic substances that may be lodged in the digestive tract. In this way, you prevent your body from absorbing them.
4. Improve your intellectual performance
Carbohydrates, vitamins, proteins and minerals that provide red lentils are vital for the proper feeding of the nerves and the brain .
That is why it is recommended that you consume this food if you have noticed that your memory or mental abilities lately give you some problems.
- In addition, these properties of red lentils are very useful for children in the growth stage, young people who are studying and people who are subjected to situations of stress and tension.
How to prepare red lentils?
One of the advantages of red lentils is their cooking time, which is very fast. They do not require a previous soaking period, so They are faster to prepare than lentils traditional
To cook a portion you need:
- 1 cup of raw red lentils (200 g)
- 2 cups of water or broth (500 ml)
- Rinse the lentils under running water from the tap.
- In a pot, place the broth and lentils and cook for 20 minutes.
- If the broth needs a little seasoning, you may need to add a touch of salt and pepper. At the time of cooking, the lentils usually vary slightly in their color and become clearer.
- Once you have the cooked lentils You can consume them alone or use them to prepare other soups and salads.
Salad high in protein
To give you an idea, we’ll leave you a basic salad. It has an excellent flavor and is rich in healthy fats and protein so that anyone can consume it.
- 1 cup cooked red lentils (200 g)
- 1 chicken breast, marinated to taste and roasted
- ½ ripe avocado
- ½ cup of cooked corn kernels (100 g)
- ½ seedless cucumber
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (16 g)
- The juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste)
- Chop the chicken into small pieces once it is roasted.
- Chop avocado and cucumber in small cubes.
- In a bowl, combine lentils, chicken breast, avocado, corn and cucumber.
- Combine olive oil and lemon juice and dress salad .
- Add a little salt and pepper to complete the flavor .
This salad is great because it allows you to play with the flavors. You can prepare the chicken with different marinated or change it for meat or fish.
Vegetables can also be substituted to experience flavors . For example, you can change the cucumber for the pepper to maintain that crispy but fresh touch.